Who we are
Environmental Development and Social Justice Initiatives (EDSI) is a non -governmental organization founded in Nigeria and registered October, 2010 with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) to implement programmes that address prevailing environment, health and social problems in the society.
Recognizing the impacts that development can have on our environment, people and their livelihoods,it became a concern that the level of awareness and attitude of individuals and corporate bodies toward sustainable development was poor. It was also noted that people resorted to exploitation of natural resources for economic benefits because they lacked information on the consequences there after and have no alternative livelihoods options.
We therefore saw the need to be a part of the global support for both people and the environment and to mobilise the relevant stakeholders to show the desired commitment to environmental and social justice.
- Environmental Education
- Waste to Wealth
- Climate Change (Afforestation and Wildlife)
- Public Health
- Livelihood Support
What we do
- EDSI sensitizes targeted groups through various media to reinforce the need to adopt best environmental and social practices;
- We advocate for good governance by supporting policies and interventions that are beneficial to the people and the environment;
- We facilitate training of groups on development issues that can help them understand their environment and bring about positive changes in their living conditions;
- We promote and mobilize support for conservation of natural resources and wildlife
- We advocate for social justice and support peaceful dialogue between projects proponents and beneficiary communities
- We mobilize stakeholders for project intervention towards enhanced socio-economic growth and development of youths, women and children;
- EDSI promotes good hygiene, support activities and research on public health;
- We monitor compliance of project intervention with local and international regulations and upholds best and acceptable practices
EDSI Team identifies environmental and social challenges faced by communities/population and intervenes through collaborative efforts using the following strategies:
- Capacity Building
- Community Mobilization
- 2012: EDSI distributed forest and fruit seedlings from the Edo State Government Nurseries to farmers in rural communities.
- 2013: EDSI organized Climate Change Seminar for Agricultural Cooperatives across the 18 Local Government Areasof Edo State: With the cooperation of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry,
- 2016: EDSI collaborated with Okomu National Park to commemorate the World Environment Day by organizing an excursion visit for selected schools in Edo State to Okomu National Park as part of activities to mark the 2016 world environment day with the theme “Zero Tolerance for the Illegal Wildlife Trade”. The excursion was aimed at exposing junior secondary students to wildlife conservation and management of natural resources, as well as, to celebrate the species under threat such as Elephants and etc. the excursion activities include park viewing, nature trail, talk on illegal wildlife trade and an interactive session.
- 2017: EDSI commemorated the 2017 World Environment Day.Public media sensitization on Theme: “Connecting People to Nature”
- 2018: EDSI joins Okomu National Park to commemorate the World Rangers Day.
SOME ACTIVITIES OF EDSI
Subscribe to our newsletter